netscape proxy.pac setup

From: Jim Chivas <j_chivas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:48:07 -0800 (PST)

Greetings:

I have read the faq about using the proxy.pac javascript file to load
proxy information to the Netscape client. THis used to work before when I
was using the NEtscape proxy server. Netscape's proxy had a pointer entry
to tell where the actual proxy.pac file was on its PROXY SERVER area. The
docs for squid all point to putting this proxy.pac file on a WEB server
and not on the squid proxy server area.

My problem is that I don't want to ask every user to change their Netscape
proxy preference to point to another url. I want their url to point to:

proxy.company.edu:8080 just like before with the Netscape proxy.

THis is what they have now while I am running netscapes proxy server. I
want to be able to now run squid on port 8080 as proxy.company.edu:8080.

FRom the faq's it looks like I must point to the actual file as well:

proxy.company.edu:8080/proxy.pac

Is it possible to setup squid such that a url for teh auto proxy setup is:

proxy.company.edu:8080

and squid will know where to find this proxy.pac file and load it to the
netscape client?

Thanks

Jim

Jim Chivas, Computing/Network Services email: jchivas@langara.bc.ca
Langara College fax: (604) 323-5349
100 West 49th Avenue Voice: (604) 323-5390
Vancouver, B.C., Canada http://www.langara.bc.ca
V5Y 2Z6