Re: netscape proxy.pac setup

From: Martin Bene <mb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:38:54 +0100

At 05:53 26.02.00, Kendall Lister wrote:
>Yes, that's what he's saying. However, I believe is it possible to make
>Squid serve up the file, in the same way it serves up it's internal images
>for FTP listings and so on - someone suggested a way of achieving this a
>few months ago. Check the list archive, or possibly the FAQ if it was
>entered. Or wait until someone who knows how to do it reads your message.

I've just abused a squid server to also provide a proxy.pac file.

I "disguised" the proxy.pac file as an icon; perhaps there's better ways of
doing it but at least this works:

* put the proxy.pac file in your icon directory
* put an entry in the mime.conf file:
\.pac$ application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig proxy.pac - ascii
* restart squid

Now you should be able to request the file using
http://proxy.domain.com:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/proxy.pac

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
  Martin Bene vox: +43-316-813824
  simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
  Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com
  8010 Graz, Austria