Re: netscape proxy.pac setup

From: Jim Chivas <j_chivas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:41:23 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Mark Cooke wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Jim Chivas wrote:
>
> > automatic configuration file is not of the correct type
> >
> > http://proxy.mycompany.com:8080
> >
> > expected MIME type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.
>
> That's because netscape (and IE) expect the pac file to have a mime
> type of the above. If you use Apache, try the following .htaccess:

BUT if my url for automatic proxy setup in my Netscape browser points to
my proxy server for this file why do I have to tell apache about it? I
would think I must somehow tell squid about it.

Jim

> [mpc@pc24 www_html]$ cat .htaccess
> AddType application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig pac
>
> Basically tells Apache to set the mime type for all files ending in
> pac for the directory the .htaccess file is in.
>
> You could also modify the httpd.conf file to make all .pac files
> that mime type, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> Mark Cooke The views expressed above are mine and are not
> Systems Programmer necessarily representative of university policy
> University Of Birmingham URL: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/~mpc/

Jim Chivas, Computing/Network Services email: jchivas@langara.bc.ca
Langara College fax: (604) 323-5349
100 West 49th Avenue Voice: (604) 323-5390
Vancouver, B.C., Canada http://www.langara.bc.ca
V5Y 2Z6