Re: netscape proxy.pac setup

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:38:30 -1000

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 05:25:06PM -0800, Jim Chivas wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Mark Cooke wrote:
>

> > > BUT if my url for automatic proxy setup in my Netscape browser points to
> > > my proxy server for this file why do I have to tell apache about it? I
> > > would think I must somehow tell squid about it.
> >
> > 1. Browser asks for the file from http://proxy.mycompany.com:8080
> > 2. Squid passes this to the redirector, which returns to squid the
> > real location of the file.
> > 3. Squid retrieves the real file from the web server it's hosted on.
> *********
>
> Are you saying the .pac file can't be located on the squid proxy server
> itself. That is where I used to put it with my old NEtscape proxy server.

  It can, but it is a nuisance. The .pac file has to be served by a
web server; evidently Netscape built some sort of simple web server
into their proxy just to serve the proxy.pac file.

  You can run a minimal web server on the same server as your proxy if
you'd prefer. There are allegedly ways to get Squid to act as a web
server, but they're probably more trouble than it's worth to you.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.