Re: Purposes

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:58:34 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Tilman Schmidt wrote:

> At 13:09 17.02.00 -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
> >As the previous reply noted, you can block the .mp3 extension with an
> >ACL, but be aware that this will only block people downloading it via
> >FTP or HTTP through a web browser.
>
> Not even that, in fact. I recently found some of my users downloading
> MP3 files that had been camouflaged with .doc and .xls extensions.

They best way to control 'warez','p0rn', and 'mp3z' is with the
administrative cluestick.

You first need to look at why you are blocking things:

Is it because:

A) You are a bussines, and such things arn't approiate for bussines
because it will get you sued (porn) or lower productivity:

Solution: Do the same thing you'd do for keeping emploees from drinking on
the job: Watch for 'signs', check them out, kick-em to the street.

B) You are an ISP/School wanting to conserve bandwidth:

Solution: What does it matter what the bandwidth usage is? Why should the
user downloading a MP3 of his favorite internet band get limited while the
users downloading Quake XXXVI shareware go free? Just account for the
bandwidth of each user, and establish a back-billing system.

If you try any purely technical measure here, you are bound to fail.

--
The comments and opinions expressed herein are those of the author of this
message and may not reflect the policies of the Martin County Board of