Re: Purposes

From: Neil Thompson <abraxis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:28:14 +0200 (SAST)

Greg,

You must remember that not everyone in the world is blessed with cheap
bandwidth. Back-billing doesn't work <right now> when one of the
techinical staff in my organization can't download drivers because someone
is "mp3-ing", "quake-ing" or "porn-ing". The combination of an
acceptable-use policy (basically "Our bandwidth is for business use
only"), aggressive filtering & monitoring (I'm using squidGuard and some
home-written perl scripts), and visible enforcement ("Hey, Mr Manager,
this is what your staff has been pulling off the Web over the last week")
is the only way I can find to maximise returns on this relatively
expensive resource.

Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil