Re: Can I write a PAC script that uses squid for http, but not ftp?

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:28:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Stan Brown wrote:

> I have been unable to make squid work as an ftp proxy behind
> a SICKS firewall :-(. Http works fine, but not ftp.
>
> So as a fallback plan, can I write a PAC script that
> instructs Netscape to use the squid proxy for ftp, and go to the
> SOCKS firewall itself for ftp?
>
> A snippet of example code would be wonderful. The actuall
> script will wind up being slightly ore comples, sicne I wan all
> address on the corportae intranet to be accesed directly, but i
> already have that part working.
>
> Thanks for any help on tis.

IIRC, the SOCKS type is what is required as opposed to PROXY. If I'm
wrong, you'll have to read through the proxy autoconfiguration
documentation on Netscape's developer website.

if (url.substring(0, 5) == "http:" ||
        url.substring(0, 6) == "https:" ||
        url.substring(0, 7) == "gopher:")
                return "PROXY squid.yourdomain.com:port";

if (url.substring(0, 4) == "ftp:")
                return "SOCKS socksproxy.yourdomain.com:port";

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )