Usage for ACLs-only practical?

From: <rpfries@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:27:24 -0500 (EST)

Without starting a discussion on why it's better to cache all requests, here's my question:

"Is Sqid a logical choice to be used in a situation where blocking access to certain web sites (ACLs) is all that's desired?" Other factors: A GPLd package is preferred (which keeps out http-gw from Gauntlet), and users are not browsing from the same Linux system, so things like trans-proxy will not work.

I've not come across any other packages which seem to meet my needs, but I was a bit turned off by the following quote from the User's Guide:

"One example that people quite often need is to disable access to a list of sites that are "unappropriate". Squid is NOT optimised to do this for a large number of sites, but will handle a sufficient number for most people without much of a problem."

Any ideas of what "large number of sites" and "sufficient number" are defined as? The User's Guide is dated Sept, 97, so I'm sure that Squid has been improved, and base system configurations have changed since the manual was written.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

- Robert Fries
  rpfries@delanet.com