Re: Proxy relay question - please help

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:58:40 -1000

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 04:13:46PM +0200, Constantin Teodorescu wrote:
> But the http requests coming from SERVER-2 are going directly to the
> internet through the slow 33,600 leased line connection and the html
> pages are coming also through the same poor line and they don't use the
> high-speed satellite download link from the DVB connection.
>
> In order to optimize it, I should instruct the squid proxy server
> working on SERVER-2 to direct all the http and ftp requests to the squid
> working on the DVB-STATION and use it as a relay, not directly to the
> internet. How can I configure squid to use as a "relay" the other squid
> working on DVB-STATION?
>
> I hope I made myself enough clear.

  Extremely clear. :-)

  I believe what you want is

SERVER-2 squid.conf:
 cache_peer DVB-STATION parent 3128 3130 no-query default

 prefer_direct off
 always_direct deny all

 This will make SERVER-2 always attempt to fetch queries through its
parent caches (prefer_direct off, always_direct deny all.) Since its
only parent is DVB-STATION (cache_peer DVB-STATION ... default) it will
always send its queries there first. Since it's using the combination
of prefer_direct and always_direct deny all, rather than never_direct
allow all, it will time out and allow itself to go direct if it turns
out that DVB-STATION is down and not responding.

  Nothing special should need to be done on the DVB-STATION, assuming
queries from there already work.

  Hope this helps, and good luck!
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.