Re: Squid vs Cisco Cache Engine

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 11:27:13 +0100

Babar Hameed wrote:

> I emailed you guyz earlier aswell, I have a problem with Squid
> being used as a transparent proxy server. The IP of the client
> accessing a web site is not loged, instead the web servers logs
> the IP of the squid. I emailed cisco and they said its not a
> problem with cisco cache engine.

This is normal for most proxies.

A couple of the commercial ones have a "masquerading" option to have the
cache server masquerade as the client making the request, but depending
on you network layour there is no guarantee that this can be used.
Basically it requires you to have redirection to the cache server on
both sides of the cache server.

Some people have implemeted this in Squid/Linux. I don't know if there
is a patch available somewhere, but I can provide guidance if there is a
programmer who is willing to reinvent the feature.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker