Re: Pop Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 11:38:12 +0100

Nick A Marouf wrote:

> Has anyone done this? or could some point in the right
> direction on how to do this. or does anyone have a pop_auth
> module that I can use.

Technically it is quite simple.

The authenticator module needs to connect to the POP server, and try to
log in using the credentials of the user.

1. Read the username password pair from Suqid
2. connect to POP server
3. Send "USER username<cr><nl>"
4. verify that the returned result starts with a +
5. Send "PASS passwor<cr><nl>"
4. verify that the returned result starts with a +
5. Send "QUIT"
6. verify that the returned result starts with a +
7. read until the connection is closed
8. close the connection
9. Return "OK<nl>" to Squid.

Verify failure:
v1: send "QUIT<cr><nl>"
v2: verify that the returned result starts with a +, if not goto (v4)
v3: read until the connection is closed
v4: close the connection
v5: return "err<nl>" to Squid.

I am not aware of any finished implementation, but it should not be more
than a screenful of perl or expect.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker