Re: Can Squid try two different routes?

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:28:31 +0100

John Ridley wrote:

> Our company has two service providers, and at various times, they both have
> routing problems, but usually not both at the same time, and sometimes only
> with certain sites or regions. Most of the time, we want to use our main
> connection, where we have two full T1's, dual homed with BGP. Sometimes
> though it'd be advantageous to use our more local ISP, which is only half a
> T1.

I don't have a definitive answer, but (provided you can somehow tell
that one line is suboptimal) you could do the following:

.../etc/squid.conf.providerA:
        tcp_outgoing_address 10.10.10.10
.../etc/squid.conf.providerB:
        tcp_outgoing_address 192.168.10.10

rm squid.conf
ln -s squid.conf.providerA squid.conf

Now, if provider A goes catatonic, you can

rm squid.conf
ln -s squid.conf.providerA squid.conf
squid -k reconfigure

and I *think* you'll be in business.

I've done this in the past by manually editing the config file, YMMV.

Cheers,

                                -- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature and help me