Squid fetching multiple copies of URL in parallel

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:25:34 +0100

I am seeing this rather frequently lately - Squid fetching several copies of
the same URL from different servers, as in the following excerpt from the
filedescriptors display of cachemgr.cgi:

   25 Socket 1439 299* 309 192.168.70.237.2786 http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Pond/8851/6.doc
   26 Socket 15 153196* 816 209.1.224.14.80 http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Pond/8851/6.doc
   32 Socket 14 1204458* 816 209.1.224.13.80 http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Pond/8851/6.doc
   39 Socket 14 3675756* 816 209.1.224.16.80 http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Pond/8851/6.doc

There's always only one client connection (the 192.168.70. address) but I
have already observed up to eight server connections to different IP
addresses for www.geocities.com in particular. This is getting rather
annoying as it tends to clog our modest 128kbps line, and sometimes the
only way to clear it up is to restart Squid. I suspect it's because the
clients in question are using GetRight or the like, but shouldn't Squid
detect a request for an URL it is already fetching even if DNS returns
a different IP address?

This is Squid 2.2.STABLE4-hno.19990807 on Linux kernel 2.0.36.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)