how does this work exactly networking wise?

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:02:30 -0400

HI All,

I am running squid on AIX. I got a call the other day from a person on my
campus complaning of receiving 1500byte pings from my webcache box. I did
some monitoring and noticed that it seems when a request hits my webcache,
my webcache then does a ping of the server being requested. Is this standard
practice? Or am I reading this wrong? If this is standard practice, why does
the ping packet have to be so large?

I welcome your comments,

Matt Ashfield
mda@unb.ca