Re: how does this work exactly networking wise?

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:49:15 -0400

Hi,

In my squid.conf I do have the following uncommented line:
pinger_program /usr/local/squid/bin/pinger

I have been doing some sniffing of our network, and for some of the sites
that are requested, there is definetely an ICMP echo packet sent to the
destination host. Followed by some TCP handshaking, then the HTTP Request.
The ICMP echo is of lenght 5E0, whis is 1504 bytes long. Looks like all
binary zeroes. This isen't a major problem, but I'm just confirming that it
is in fact a feature of squid. It appears to only send these ICMP packets to
hosts that are requested from the cachebox. So that rules out a possible
hack. (I hope!)

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Matt Ashfield
mda@unb.ca