Memory leak in 2.2S5 and 2.3S1?

From: Erik Horn <Erik_Horn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 16:44:15 -0800

About a month ago I recompiled squid to add delay pools. Shortly
afterwords, we started having problems with machine and squid crashes. I
have noticed that squid will start out using about 100meg of memory at the
beginning of the day. It will be using about 150meg during the peak time
of the day. At the end of the day, the memory is at about 190meg and
climbing at a rate of about 1 meg every few minutes. At this point the
utilization of the cache is quite low (6 reqs/sec). Something else that
happens about this time is that the byte hit ratio in cachemgr turns into
a negative number (might be unrelated).

I updated to version 2.3s1 to see if it would help with the problem. At
this time I also added async-io and heap-replacement to see if it would
help performance (it helped a lot). But the memory usage is still climbing.

This is running Redhat version 6.?, on a Dell Poweredge 2300, 450 Mhz,
256meg ram, and 10gig cache (which I purged when I upgraded to 2.3). Today
it processed about 1,000,000 requests.

The original squid was compiled without any special options with the
exception that our filtering package (smartfilter) was patched in. I
recompiled with delay pools and the problems seemed to start. Upgrading to
2.3s1 with the addition of async-io, delay-pools, heap-replacement, and a
new smartfilter module didn't seem to help.

I would really like to keep the delay-pools if possible because without
it, internet traffic was consuming all of our bandwidth and causing
problems for other applications. Any help to resolve this problem is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik