Re: async-io or no aysnc-io

From: Tom Williams <tom.williams@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:48:30 -0800

From what little I understand, async-io should help squid access the cache
faster because multiple threads will be accessing the cache concurrently.
According to the Squid doc (in the squid.conf.default fle), the async-io
support might be a little buggy so be careful.

I've been running a Squid-2.3.STABLE1 proxy on a Pentium 166 /w a 200MB
(now 500MB) cache serving between 15 - 40 clients with async-io for a few
weeks now without problems.

You can always control this with the cache_dir configuration setting.
Build Squid with --enable-async-io on and specify the cache_dir like this:
cache_dir /usr/local/squid/cache asyncfs 100 6 256

If you want to stop using async-io, then change the "asyncfs" to "ufs" and
reconfigure Squid (squid -k reconfigure). The "asyncfs" parm might
actually be "asyncufs", but the exact syntax will be in the
squid.conf.default file.

Good luck!

Peace.....

Tom