Re: LIMITING BANDWIDTH?

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:57:38 +0100

At 13:50 15.03.00 +1100, Ben Mckellar wrote:
>My squid proxy box has been up for 35 days, i looked at my router and
>noticed a rather high percent bandwidth stream. There was little activiy on
>the network. This puzzled me for a few days.
>
>I rebooted the squid proxy server and noticed when the mahcine was down, my
>bandwidth usage suddenyl decreased quite a large amount.. from like 60%
>80% 90%.. then it went down to 9% 20% 40%.. which is about normal.
>
>What i cant figure out is why was my squid box using so much bandwidth? And
>now i have rebooted it, it seems to be working without any problems and the
>bandwidth is back to normal. I am waiting to see if it goes up again.

I experienced something similar some time ago when one of my users
tried to download a file from a very busy server using the GoZilla
download manager. (See my thread "GoZilla vs. Squid".) This left a
lot of transfers running in parallel. If this ever happens again,
look on the "Process Filedescriptor Allocation" page of cachemgr.cgi
to see what Squid is doing.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)