Re: Squid farm + layer 4 switch, should they peer?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:12:13 -1000

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:37:06AM -0600, Brian wrote:

> If I have multiple identical squids, in a server farm, and use a layer 4
> switch to spread users out evenly amongst them, should those machines in
> the farm icp peer with eachother? I would think yes.

  They should definitely peer with each other. You might want to have
them peer with cache-digests instead of ICP. You might also want to
consider a no-cache policy for items retrieved from others' caches so
they are not all storing the same stuff. Alternatively you might want
to look at your switch's ability to distribute URLs to caches based on
a hash of the destination URL, so that each cache ends up with a
different distribution of cache content.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.