Re: Building identical squid servers.

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:37:06 +0000

Ben Mckellar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a general linux question as much as it is a squid question.
>
> I am thinking of building multiple squid boxes.. between 5-10.
>
> Is there a way in linux to build one box, then ghost the Hard drive to other

Yep, there's a handy little utility called 'dd'. It's a little tricky
to do but I found this method worked quite cheerfully but requires some
kind of removeable media.

a) Install a minimal Linux on a rmeovable hard drive
b) Install Linux/Squid on your first Squid machine
c) Boot the first Squid machine from the removable hard drive
d) Use dd to make an image of the Squid machines hard drive and store it
on removeable drive.
e) Boot second Squid machine from removable hard drive
f) Use dd to write the image onto the second machine
g) Repeat as necessary

All you have to do is then alter the network configuration for each
machine.

Worked for me.

Cheers.

--