RE: .pac auto-config files

From: Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:41:04 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

No problem - one thing I would say about the CGI script method (i.e. the
way we do it) is that the FindProxyForURL() function is run for every
object fetched.

By minimising the complexity in that function (i.e. by doing the work in
the CGI script once, rather than for each object), you're reducing the
work the browser has to do.

This is the reason we have: 'var hostIp = dnsResolve(host)' line - this
cuts the number of DNS lookups the script has to do from 5 to 1 - which
speads up Netscape immensely, reducing lookups on mistyped hostnames in
URLs from 20s down to 4!

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK