store_avg_object_size parameter - problem

From: Miroslav PRAGL <Miroslav.Pragl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:40:59 +0100

dear colleagues,
i'm beginning with squid so i might be completely wrong, but please help me:
I setup 1GB cache dir with 16 1st level and 256 2nd level dirs
after few days of running the [Filemap bits in use] grew up 2-3 times faster
than % of cache used. I checked [mean object size] and it was really about
2-3 times smaller than default so I changed store_avg_object_size to 4 KB

restarted squid - nothing happened with total filemap bits available, still
Filemap bits in use: xx of 16384 (xx%)
deleted cache and ran squid -z then startde squid again - the same as if i
haven't changed store_avg_object_size

is <store_avg_object_size 4KB> syntax OK? what else can be wrong please?

Thank you

Miroslav