Re: help for "dns_nameserver" tag

From: Ahsan Khan <ahsank@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 06:39:13 +0500

Dear Parshant,

    for your help I am listing the Operations I have done in squid.

1:- Get the squid-2.3.Stable from squid site
2:- under that
3:- ./configure -with-required-options , make , make install
4:- If compile with disable internal DNS then edit my squid.conf and give alternative DNS name it could be any DNS server in the world or the best one is you primary dns
5:- set my squid cache dir and then did squid -z , after that check the size and other issue with cachemgr
6:- set my cache_mem options and check with cachemger
7:- to specify other dns if you are running squid on sec dns please see that

# TAG: dns_nameservers
# Use this if you want to specify a list of DNS name servers
# (IP addresses) to use instead of those given in your
# /etc/resolv.conf file.
#
# Example: dns_nameservers 10.0.0.1 192.172.0.4

8:- After examine your cache.log I have come to know that your cache dir is mishandled by some one as the base dir in the tree is missing see below..

2000/03/24 13:22:31| /cache1/squid/00: (2) No such file or directory
FATAL: Failed to verify one of the swap directories, Check cache.log
 for details. Run 'squid -z' to create swap directories
 if needed, or if running Squid for the first time.
Squid Cache (Version 2.2.STABLE4): Terminated abnormally.

here you can see theta dir name 00 is not present. so nothing happen to your cache size its the filesystem and the system security,

if you have any other question please let me know,.

With Regards
Ahsan Khan
Sr. System Admin
Internet Division (OneNet)