Re: shaper by types

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:02:29 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Michael Ju. Tokarev wrote:

> > How can I setup squid to do shaping for only some file
> > types like .jpeg .mp3 and so on?
>
> Can regexp acl can help here?

It doesn't look like it from the FAQ and squid.conf.default - delay pools
seem to exist outside the ACL paradigm within Squid.

> Just some points, I didn't use this, and is not shure that this will
> work (moreother, I don't know that "traffic shaping" exists in squid).

It does (through delay pools), but I can't see a way to apply it to
certain URLs only. However, the delay pool mechanism does allow for burst
transfer limits as well as general limits, which means that you can allow
small objects to be fetched at high speed but still dial back the
bandwidth available to prolonged transfers - this may be useful to the
original poster.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781