Re: I have a Site that is cahced and never refreshed!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:52:05 +0200

Stian B. Barmen wrote:

> The problem is now that a known web site has moved from one IP address
> to another and Squid has not checked this. I don?t know why Squid does
> not check the DNS records or whatever to update it self.

Squid re-checks the DNS records when they expire. The default settings
of most DNS servers says that the DNS data expires in 7 days. So if the
site owner does a unplanned move to another IP address then it may take
up to a week until all clients/proxies/dns servers around the globe
notices the change.

If you build Squid with --disable-internal-dns then you can control the
expire time from squid.conf by setting the positive_dns_ttl option, and
Squid won't use the TTL setting from the DNS data.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker