Re: Linux and superblocks

From: Adam Rice <adam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:11:32 +0100

Greg Maxwell wrote:

> Defragmenting an ext2 volume is not easy either (there is no current
> defragger, the best way is to backup and reformat).

I have used e2defrag with good results in the past. The awkward thing is
that you can't use it on a mounted filesystem (making defragging your
root
filesystem a pain). You should be able to pick it up at your favourite
sunsite mirror.

Having said that, I wouldn't plan on doing defrags on a cache server...
it could take hours, and what would the users do in the meantime?
Better just to give ext2 space to stretch its legs.

Adam Rice