Re: Why not auto-config of "store_avg_object_size"?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:59:33 -0700

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Steve Snyder wrote:

> My understanding is that it used is estimating the number of bits kept
> in memory (for using in tracking files in the cache). Further, my
> understanding is that having store_avg_object_size reflect the real
> world keeps Squid for wasting memory on too many bits and prevents
> it having too few to track all the cache files.

That was the case for version 2.2.

It was due to some stupid coding. Now the filemap bits are allocated
dynamically.

It was important to have a conservative estimate. If the average was
too high, then you could run out of numbers. But it was never
important to have it really accurate. Changing the average from 13KB
to 8KB for a 30GB cache uses an additional 200KB of RAM. Not hugely
significant.

Duane W.