Re: No DNS records

From: Michael Ju. Tokarev <mjt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:16:34 +0400

"Scroggins, Kelly" wrote:
[]
> I'm running "Starting Squid Cache version 2.3.STABLE2 for
> i686-pc-linux-gnu...",
> on Red Hat 6.1.
>
> My original message addressed your questions. We use our ISPs DNS server on
> the outside of our network.
[]
I apologize -- should read more carefully.

As for now, we can say that this problem is still in stable2.
And not related to hardware variant (I see it on my 486/66 (yes!) router).
So machine speed is not relevant here -- fast dual pentium and slow 486
are the same... And OS version does not matter -- Red Hat 6.1 (mine too),
and something wrong on Solaris, as reported at
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.3/bugs/#squid-2.3.stable2-internal_dns_problems
(error message is not the same, but sometimes I got that message too).

As I also said, try to recompile it with --disable-internal-dns.
This is not a complete solution, but a workaround -- there are some
changes in dnsservers introduced in 2.3 -- and 2.3 dnsservers functions
a bit differently compared to 2.2 ones). And set "negative_dns_ttl 1 seconds"
in squid.conf -- this is not perfect, but it allows you to press "reload"
button in your browser at least if you get that message (by default, you
cannot do that in 5-15 minutes, do not remember exactly).
Or, and this is more radical solution, downgrade to latest 2.2stable,
especially if you do not use features of 2.3 ("traffic shapering" and
custom replacion policy), till that case will be resolved.

P.S. If you not familiar with software compiling/installation, you have two
relatively simple choices
  - find 2.2stable rpm (downgrade)
  - get 2.3 source rpm, install it (using -i, not --rebuild), open squid.spec
    file (found in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS), and add --disable-internal-dns
    into this file to ./configure... line, and execute "rpm -bb squid.spec"
    to build.