SQUID 2.2-STABLE3 stale cache

From: James Porter <webmaster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:17:45 -0500

A quick question for the group. I seem to be running into a refresh
problem of some type with the cache. Basically if someone has made a
change to a webpage and then accesses the webpage through the SQUID cache
squid keeps delivering the old page even after multiple hits on RELOAD or
REFRESH from the browser. Its like the SQUID cache is not doing a
conditional get from the webserver to check if the cache version is older
than the current file. 80% of the time the only way to clear this problem
is to use the "client" app and manually purge the particular page from the
SQUID cache.

Is there a setting somewhere I might have missed that controls how SQUID
verifies its running the latest version of the file its cached?

James