RE: SQUID 2.2-STABLE3 stale cache

From: James Porter <webmaster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:32:32 -0500

>> Take alook for the foolowing values in your squid.conf file, this values
>>controls the data expiration & checking time in the cache:
>>refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
>>offline_mode off
>>
>>It does works if you have this parameters, this are the standard config
>>parameters.
>
>They were present but commented out. So I took out the comment sign.

Ok we seem to getting closer to a solution. I was just on the phone with a
customer and during a real-time page updating investigation we discovered
the following.

It APPEARS that what is happening is this. The local machine Internet
Browser cache file If-Modified-Since field is being compared to one that
SQUID is holding. So if the 2 fields are the same the page doesn't change.
 BUT apparently SQUID does not take the extra step of doing an
If-Modified-Since comparison to the WebServer itself so the situation
stands that a page can modified but still not appear as updated in SQUID if
the Browser has the same version as SQUID.

Is there anything I can do? Because this is definitely impacting my
customers who need to be able to see ANY changes as their are daily price
sheets and other data changing constantly. Unless I just use SQUID to
cache images and leave the HTML/HTM pages alone.

James.