Re: Socks and Version

From: Sys Admin <stacka@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:29:31 -0500 (EST)

i don't understand the question. what do you mean by 'how do i open squid
for socks and which port do i use?'?

SOCKS and Squid are 2 different things. Squid is an http/ftp caching
package whereas SOCKS is a generic proxy protocol for tcp/ip apps. note:
apps have to 'socksified' to use a socks proxy. lots of apps are already
socksified like AOL-Instand Messenger...ICQ...Napster..etc..etc.. or you
can wrap lots of client apps through a socks wrapper like sockscap32 for
windowns.

please read the Squid faq at:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ.html

and the SOCKS faq at:

http://www.socks.nec.com/socksfaq.html

simply put...you can only use squid for things like using a web
browser..surfing the net...ftp'ing through a webbrowser....wget'ing.
that's all that squid does. squid does not proxy or cache
smtp/nttp/telnet/ssh/dns/finger add nausem connections.

-a-

Andrew Stack
UNIX Systems Administrator
State University at New Paltz
Phone: 914.257.3828

GNU/Linux - The choice of a GNU generation.....

One good solution to solve all your windows problems
is to install some flavor of UNIX. 8-)