RE: HELP: squid dies with "Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 byte"

From: Alejandro Ramirez <ales@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:21:45 -0600

Hi,

> FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 16384 blocks of 1 bytes!
>
> my cache_dirs are configured like this
>
> cache_dir /squid01/cache 1000 32 256
> cache_dir /squid02/cache 1000 32 256
> cache_dir /squid03/cache 1000 32 256
> cache_mem 32 MB

Try lowering the cache_mem to 16 MB, this is how I avoided this message in
squid 2.3Stable2.

> why squid dies?

Probably because of the memory usage.

> why only the directories /squid01 and squid03 are affected and not the
> /squid02 dir ?

Probably all got affected, but at the time that the squid proccess died, it
has just reported /squid01 and /squid03.

> why the /squid01-directory is 1100 MB of size, although i gave it only
1000
> MB?

Yo have to include the swap.state file that ist located at this directory,
this is not part of the cache space.

P.S. Try to upgrade to squid2.3Stable2, its very good.

Good Luck...
Ales