RE: Squid setup question

From: Stephen <zeus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:52:18 -0500

Router <------> Squid Box <-------> Web server

With the above scenario, we have the router set to redirect port 80 traffic
to the squid box (Freebsd 3.4 with Squid 2.3stable2). the redirection (ala
cisco, the ip packet is not modified its just forwarded to the next mac hop
which is the squid box).

I have the freebsd box passing port 80 traffic to squid, but it doesnt seem
to get anything or interact with the web server. I am sending it traffic
from a browser on the far side of the router, and I can see it being sent
to the squid box properly, but nothing happens (after a while I get a
timeout message).

What is the necessary setup for squid in this scenario? What does squid
actually do, functionally, in the above scenario? I would think that it
graps requests, and if no page is cached, forwards the require to the real
web server.

Thanks.

SB