Re: Does anyone run squid on a college campus?

From: Sys Admin <stacka@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:32:35 -0500 (EST)

we run squid here at New Paltz. There is a user base of 8000
people...and the one squid box sees about 60,000 --> 100,000 requests an
hour. we have two T1's and we are getting a third one in. the proxy is
the only machine on one of the T's thus it's the only traffic on it (and
the T1 is more managable). we see a hit ratio of 26%-40%.

our main concern is fast content delivery first...and bw savings second.
i feel squid does well with this. it is extremely stable...efficient and
fast (one non-blocking IO process 8-) ). in fact....i am trying to get
money together to form a better cache hierarchy (i.e more web cacheing
boxes)...more redundancy.

fwiw, before squid....we tried netscape enterprise proxy on a E3000.
found it to be resource intensive and not as stable. after NE proxy...we
ran M$ proxy on an NT machine. that was not very suited for our
purposes...it crashed quite often...too much in fact.

-a-

oh yeah...we run squid on a Sun E450 with 8GB of disk cache. before i ran
it on th sun box...it was running on a dell poweredge 2500 (PII 350Mhz)
for nine months. it ran very smoothly....i just had to give up that dell
to the netware admin 8-(.

at peek times....the sun e450 has a load of about .74 (mind you it's a
mail server also).

Andrew Stack
UNIX Systems Administrator
State University at New Paltz
Phone: 914.257.3828

GNU/Linux - The choice of a GNU generation.....

One good solution to solve all your windows problems
is to install some flavor of UNIX. 8-)