Re: Does anyone run squid on a college campus?

From: Graeme Fowler <G.E.Fowler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:46:09 +0100 (BST)

On 31-Mar-2000 Sys Admin wrote:

> we run squid here at New Paltz. There is a user base of 8000
> people...and the one squid box sees about 60,000 --> 100,000 requests
> an hour. we have two T1's and we are getting a third one in. the
> proxy is the only machine on one of the T's thus it's the only traffic
> on it (and the T1 is more managable). we see a hit ratio of 26%-40%.

Just to add to my response from earlier, here's some stats.

Local cache machines, yesterday (figures rounded):

requests/hour (total): 141000
total requests handled: 3384000
data processed: 34 GB
hit rate (requests): 45%
hit rate (per byte): 20%

which is a pretty representative day for us.

The national cache system I mentioned however has some pretty
impressive stats... this is an aggregate for this month -> 29th:

Total requests: 1592546491
Requests / hour: 2211870
Megabytes: 17361223 [1]
Hitrate overall: somewhere between 25-50% [2]

[1] Yes, that's 17 Terabytes this month so far :)
[2] depending on whether you look at objects or bytes, and how you
    calculate it. [3]
[3] we use cache digests which aren't correctly calculated as HITs by
    our current stats cruncher.

Impressive, isn't it?

Graeme

--
Graeme Fowler
Network Officer, Infrastructure & Networks Group