Re: squid , linux & NDS

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:02:13 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Chris Tilbury wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:26:03AM +0100, Ian Jones wrote:
>
> > Are there any plans for squid to work with NDS authentication now that
> > edirectory for linux is out? ie. working in a similar way to Bordermanager
>
> Already does, in principle.
>
> + e-Directory supports LDAP (natively, if Novell are to be believed)

Technically, it's true (okay, maybe 97-98% true); alas, however, keeping
the LDAP front-end to eDirectory/NDS8 up and running in a high-load production
environment is somewhat "patchy" at present.

> + Squid supports basic proxy auth through auth modules.
>
> + An LDAP auth module exists.

Squid also supports a PAM authentication module; if someone wanted to use
eDirectory on Linux (my condolences), assuming suitable PAM/NSS modules are
included by Novell then you could just use that.

> Of course, the extent to which this works will depend on how you need to bind
> to the (e) directory and if the current LDAP module supports that method.

...and if your eDirectory box is able to handle the load Squid throws at it
(given that eDirectory for NetWare leaks LDAP connections after a while).

Cheers..

dave