Re: squid's behavior when using wget to ftp a site?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 17:38:54 +0200

arnee wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
> Is squid the one that closes the connection after fetching one file? or
> wget? if the former, is this squid's regular behavior? and how to
> reconfigure it?

Squid has no cache for FTP server connections. Each time an FTP object
is retreived Squid has to open a new connection to the FTP server.

The technical reason to this is the protocol translation from HTTP to
FTP when sending the request thru a HTTP proxy which looses most of the
state a full FTP client can keep about the connection.

I have planned for quite some time to implement a pool for FTP server
connections like what we have for persistent HTTP connections, but have
not yet found any time to do it. It is a bit more complicated in the
case of FTP as the FTP protocol is much more stateful than HTTP (which
is stateless).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker