Re: commBind

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:58:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Alejandro Daich wrote:

]> > Did anybody experienced this before?
]>
]> I think its an operating system bug. Are you using Linux? You might
]> want to upgrade to a newer version.
]>
]> Duane W.
]>
]I'm using Solaris 2.5.1 on an ultra enterprise 3000. I also get a lot of
]connections to the proxy port in TIME-WAIT state, and only a few ESTABLISHED
]and others. Do you think that it is all the same problem?

No, because TIME_WAIT is your friend. It is perfectly normal for a
connection to stay for 2MSL in TIME_WAIT state. You should start to worry,
though, if there are more than 100 CLOSE_WAIT connections. In that case,
try turning off the half closed connections Squid configuration option.

]Should I download a patch from sun to upgrade sockets, etc. ?

Yes! The 2.5.1 TCP/IP stack *definitely* needs all the patches it can get.
In order to fix several bugs and improve performance, you should at least
upgrade to 103630-13 for IP and 103582-16 for TCP. Using 104212-13 for hme
might not hurt your ethernet, either. Read the READMEs before applying the
patchs.

Please be aware that some SUN fixes for Multicasts are incompatible with
above patches (for reasons beyond me, the multicast patch also replaces
the TCP module). Also note that the patches mentioned above will split the
tunable "tcp_conn_req_max" into two new tunables...

You might also consider upgrading to at least Solaris 7.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726