Re: Security concern UID.GID => squid.squid vs nobody.noody

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:07:16 +0200

Yomler wrote:

> What do you feel is the best to run squid into ?
> Run in squi.squid account with no shell, or nobody.nobody ?

squid.squid in a chroot jail.

squid.squid to protect it from other services running as nobody.

chroot to protect the server from Squid.

> I added chroot /chroot/squid option, with no success !

Did you remember to set up the proper directory structure for it?
Everything will be under the chroot, this is cache, log files, pid file.
Everything.

> When does squid do chroot? before/after reading squid.conf?
> when does it open the log file, before, after the chroot ?

Squid chroot's immediately after reading squid.conf, but before opening
the log files or starting any helper processes (dnsserver, pinger,
redirectors, proxy_auth validators or whatever).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker