Re: squid2.3stable2 on freebsd3.2

From: Alejandro Ramirez <ales@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:29:34 -0500

Hi,

> i've recently installed squid2.3stable2 with transparent proxying
> enabled on freebsd3.2 machine. a linux box was installed running
> transproxy-1.2 between our dialup users and cache server. browsing on
> our dialup users is still slow, although transproxy is already
> forwarding the http requests on the cache server. even our internal
> network does not benefit from the cache server. are there any
> performance tweaking i should do on squid and/or freebsd3.2?

Yes, you have to disable memory pools in your squid.conf file "memory_pools
off", enable truncate instead of unlinkd "--enable-truncate", do not enable
the time hack "--enable-time-hack".

For FreeBSD, enable SoftUpdates, mount the filesystem with the noatime
option, rebuild your kernel without needed drivers, and use the following
options in your kernel config file too:

makeoptions COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" #Optimizing the kernel for
the best performance
options "MAXDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)" #Support for a single
proccess to use up to 512MB in RAM
options "DFLDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)" #Default size of in RAM
for a single proccess
options PQ_LARGECACHE #Use all the cache in
the PII & PIII proccessors
options ICMP_BANDLIM #This is for
security

Comment out this line:

options FAILSAFE #Be conservative

This are the options in a Dual PIII-600Mhz with 512MB RAM and 36GB HD for
caching, working as a cache engine only.

P.S. Add as much RAM as you can.

Have Fun...
Ales