Re: squid2.3stable2 on freebsd3.2

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:43:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > i've recently installed squid2.3stable2 with transparent proxying
> > enabled on freebsd3.2 machine. a linux box was installed running
> > transproxy-1.2 between our dialup users and cache server. browsing on
> > our dialup users is still slow, although transproxy is already
> > forwarding the http requests on the cache server. even our internal
> > network does not benefit from the cache server. are there any
> > performance tweaking i should do on squid and/or freebsd3.2?
>
> Yes, you have to disable memory pools in your squid.conf file "memory_pools
> off", enable truncate instead of unlinkd "--enable-truncate", do not enable
> the time hack "--enable-time-hack".

Is there any particular reason you're turning off memory pools and
using truncate() instead of unlink()? I've not actually done any
benchmarks with using these options under FreeBSD, but I'd be
interested if anyone has.

> For FreeBSD, enable SoftUpdates, mount the filesystem with the noatime
> option, rebuild your kernel without needed drivers, and use the following
> options in your kernel config file too:

Softupdates are definately an advantage, as well as noatime.

> makeoptions COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" #Optimizing the kernel for
> the best performance

Using -02 on a kernel is not a good idea. There are documented
problems with gcc generating bad code at these optimization levels.
Stick with no optimization, or just -O if you absolutely feel you need
some.

> options PQ_LARGECACHE #Use all the cache in
> the PII & PIII proccessors

VM Page Coloring is generally only helpful on systems which use
direct-mapped caches, which excludes all PentiumII and later systems,
which use 4 or 8-way set-associative caches. You'll get only a minor
performance improvement with a PII and even less with a PIII, if any
at all.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )