Re: installing on solaris 7

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:33:49 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, David LePage wrote:

> Does anyone know the requirements to compile squid 2.3.stable2 on solaris
> 7?

Assuming 2.3.STABLE2 hasn't changed that much from 2.2.STABLE5 in terms of
requirements, then a stock Solaris 7 install plus Perl and a C compiler should
suffice. (You need Perl for part of the Squid build process.)

> does it matter which gcc I use?

You want to use a fairly recent version, but be wary of anything newer than
GCC 2.8.1 (the 2.9x series and EGCS before that) can be a tad unstable on some
Solaris 7 platforms (such as 64-bit UltraSPARC). Perl (pre-5.6, haven't tried
the latest yet) wouldn't properly compile using 2.9x, but works a charm with
2.8.1.

If you want to experiment, get the latest GCC and Perl on your box and give it
a whirl; if it works, great. If not, drop GCC back to 2.8.1.

> I have installed the full developers package but dont have a compiler yet.

The GCC binaries from SunFreeware should be fine.

Cheers..

David J. N. Begley <d.begley@nepean.uws.edu.au>
Network Analyst, Communications Unit, ITS
University of Western Sydney, Nepean
Australia