Re: Network stops responding

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:02:48 +0200

Chris Conn wrote:

> However, once more the machine running squid was no longer accessible to
> the network. I this time however got logs from the Intel NIC driver:

I think these kinds of symptoms might be a sign of a generic problem in
Linux somewhere. So far I have experienced similar hangs using

  3com Vortex cards
  Intel EtherExpress Pro 100
  Digital (Compaq) Tulip based 10/100

In all cases the problem can be cured by stopping the network, unloading
the NIC driver module and starting the network again (which forces a
fresh load of the NIC driver).

Hangs has occured at seemingly random times. No pattern between load and
time of hang has been observed. But then it has not happened that often.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker