Re: squid & wingate

From: Leonardo Rodrigues <coelho@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:57:33 -0300

         I disagree. If you're talking for Network Address Translation ONLY
for HTTP/HTTPS access, YES squid does it very well. And about hiding the
local network IP address, you can look at squid.conf file:

# TAG: forwarded_for on|off
# If set, Squid will include your system's IP address or name
# in the HTTP requests it forwards. By default it looks like
# this:
#
#
forwarded_for off

         BUT if you're talking as a WHOLE NAT, just like Wingate + Wingate
Client, NO, Squid does not provide that. You should look at IP
Masquerading. Try this page. It's called "The Compleat Idiot's Guide to
Transparent Proxy with Linux and Squid" (
http://www.unxsoft.com/transproxy.html )...... it's a GREAT place to start
understanding about IP Masquerading. You should also try IPCHAINS-HOWTO .....