Re: one site is sending a lot of date but nothing is getting out on the local LAN

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 21:53:52 +0200

David Sune Palsgaard wrote:

> I have a big problem ... to times whit in the to last days I have
> experience that there coming a lot of data from one site to the
> firewall (squid and ipchance), but nearly nothing is coming fro to
> the internal LAN. the problem as I can se it is that no one is
> requesting the date... On the first occurrence it was www traffic on
> the other occasion it was ftp traffic. The problem is that it is
> totally blocking our 512 kbit line ...
> incoming traffic to the firewall is 500 - 512 kbit but outgoing to
> the internal LAN is only 70 - 80 kbit

There are two known bugs/misfeatures in Squid where this might happen
that fits your descriptions.

a) HEAD for ftp:// objects

b) Range requests for objects where the origin server does not support
ranges.

Patches are available from
http://squid.sourceforge.net/hno/patch-2.3.html

Also make sure quick_abort is tuned to properly abort aborted requests,
and that half_closed_clients is turned off. This helps in getting
runaway requests terminated when the user gives up.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker