Re: WCCP 1.0 memory requirements on Cisco?

From: Lincoln Dale <ltd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 06:28:11 -0400

At 17:53 23/05/00, Randy Cosby wrote:
>I'm getting ready to set up a WCCP-aware squid linux box hanging off my
>Cisco 4700M. It currently is running Version 11.2(19)P1.
>
>I have 64M in the router, and am running BGP4 between a couple peers. I
>have not yet activated WCCP 1.0, and am wondering what the memory and

WCCP itself will not consume any real memory on the router.

the design of WCCP is such that it doesn't need to maintain per-flow state
information in the switching device - hence the additional router resources
are rather minimal.

>processor implications will be on the router. As I understand it, WCCP 1.0
>on this version of IOS will not be running on the Cisco Express Forwarding
>engine, is that correct? Will I see a performance/cpu hit?

correct - WCCP in IOS 11.2 is NOT in CEF - but it is in the fast-switch path.

you should be ok CPU-wise (a 4700 has quite a decent CPU anyhow),
_provided_ packets stay in the fast-switching path.
if you have other things enabled which cause it to drop down to
process-level, then perhaps not ..

of course, it all really depends on your traffic levels.

if you want the best of both worlds (CEF + WCCP), you'll need to go to IOS
12.0(something).

cheers,

lincoln.

--
   Lincoln Dale           Content Services Business Unit
   ltd@cisco.com          cisco Systems, Inc.       |         |