Re: SSL behind a firewall

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:25:11 +0200

Thomas, Larry wrote:

> I seem to be having trouble with getting ssl to work behind my firewall.
> The proxy server is only used for outgoing web traffic.
> Regular http works great feels fine but when I try a https site by browser
> returns the message:
> Error 400
> Proxy supports only full 'http' URLS

Looks like an error message from your firewall..

How should clients be configured if behind your firewall and not using
Squid? The same configuration needs to be applied to Squid.

> cache_peer pigpen.sbec.com parent 80 0 no-query default
> cache_peer pigpen.sbec.com parent 443 0 no-query default
> cache_peer pigpen.sbec.com parent 21 0 no-query default

The last two does not make sense.

My guess is that your firewall is a "transparent" one, and that you
should not have any cache_peer lines at all.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker