Re: Configure Squid to show bogus version

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:52:22 +0200

Marton Sándor Zoltán wrote:

> > For a start, dont allow the server to be scanned by random users in the
> > first place.

> How could anybody do that ? I'm also interested in this matter.

Start by getting a book on practical TCP/IP security. The topic is way
to broad to be discussed here. How very much depends on what your
network layout are wrt security.

> > Bind the http port to an address only reachable by your users, or make
> > use of packet filtering to filter out what networks are allowed to even
> > try to talk to the proxy.

> Could You be a little bit more specific ? :-) I really want to learn how
> to do that.

* Firewalls
* Dual homed server
* See http_port directive in Squid.conf.

(sorry. not in a mood doing a described description of how to protect
TCP/IP servers/networks right now.. plenty of good books and articles on
that subject if you shop around a little)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker