transparent proxy or not?

From: William Wong <willwong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:11:08 -0400

Hi there,

I've looked through the archives and I haven't seen anything similar to my
situation so here I am :)

My ISP provides a squid proxy service on the standard 3128 port.

I am currently behind an ipfilter/ipnat firewall. What I'd like to setup is
that all my http requests get redirected to my ISP's proxy server.

I first tried doing this directly, by redirecting all port 80 outgoing to my
ISP's proxy.

rdr ed1 0/0 port 80 -> a.b.c.d port 3128

It appears that they don't have it setup to accept transparent requests as
it always seems to report an "invalid host header" or the like.

So I was trying to setup the following.

redirect all traffic to my own squid proxy.
rdr ed1 0/0 port 80 -> 127.0.0.1 port 3128

and I was hoping that my squid proxy, would then talk to my isp's squid
proxy to grab http data.

I have the following in my squid.conf

httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

cache_peer proxy.dsl.ca parent 3128 3130 proxy-only <- my ISP's
squid proxy.

All I seem to get with this config is a standard transparent proxy. The
http requests are still coming out directly from my machine instead of
through my isp's proxy.

I am using 2.3STABLE of squid on FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Will