DNS lookup problems

From: Wendler Herbert <herbert.wendler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:32:22 +0200

Dear squid users,

as a new squid users I encounter some problems installing the product:

The following error was encountered:
        Unable to determine IP address from host name for www
The dnsserver returned:
        DNS Domain 'www' is invalid: Host not found (authoritative).
This means that:
 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

I get this message for all URL's I try, therefore I asume that my DNS lookup
isn't configured properly.
My configuration is: Susu Linux 6.4 with squid2
On the other side, if I use Netscape without the squid proxy, I'm able to
resolve any URL. Are there any hints for me how to configure DNS for squid?
Are there special log file
entries where I can trace down the problem?

thanks for any help and best regads,
                                Herbert

mailto:herbert.wendler@siemens.at